Skip to Main Content

Alterations and Improvements

Tenants wishing to carry out any alterations or improvements to their home must apply in writing to the Association and receive our written permission prior to any works being undertaken.


Most alterations will require permission and may require to be pre-inspected, with all alteration works requiring post inspections when they have been completed.


All applications to carryout alterations should be submitted to the Associations Housing Services Team in writing, a written response will be given advising you if permission has been granted or refused.


This will include (but is not an exhaustive list) alterations and improvements to:

• Any alterations to gas pipes
• Any alterations to electric cables and supplies
• The installation of a shower
• Tiling work
• Fitting secondary flooring i.e. laminate flooring, tiles
• Replacing kitchen units and worktops
• Replacing pass doors and fire doors to the interior of the house
• Installation of satellite dishes or t.v. aerial
The Association will consider most applications for alterations with exception to the following:


• Permission will not be granted to cover worktops and kitchen unit surfaces with either fablon adhesive, painting, staining or re-graining
• Artexing of walls throughout the house will not be permitted

We will not unreasonably withhold consent however work must be to an acceptable standard and we will also have regard for any adverse effect that the alteration or improvement might have on the property, to other properties or residents.
Consent may be conditional. At all times we have to consider factors such as health and safety issues, the long term structure of our properties, the standard of workmanship, the possible effect on other properties / tenants and therefore conditions attached to consent will be strictly enforced.


The cost of repairing damage as a result of any alterations or improvements carried out, or any costs incurred by the Association to rectify will be met in full by the tenant. The tenant is also responsible for obtaining all other necessary approvals and certificates as required e.g. planning permission and / or building warrants.


Should a tenant carry out any alterations or improvements without the Association’s permission, the Association is entitled to restore the property to its previous condition during or at the end of the tenancy. The Association is entitled to charge the tenant for this work.


Should any tenant wish to appeal against any decision made by the Technical Officer regarding an alteration or improvement then they should contact the Technical Officer providing their reasons for appeal.


Contact us to receive more information on Alterations and Improvements.

Compensation for Improvements

You have the right to compensation at the end of your tenancy for certain types of improvements that you have made to your home with the permission of the Association.

Tenants will not be eligible for compensation if we have had to repossess the property.

Full details of the Right To Compensation Regulations can be found on the Scottish Government website.

File Description File Size
Tenant Alteration Policy (25.11.19) PDF icon 256KB